As an online business owner working from home in the past 11 years, I definitely have plenty of experience working from home and achieving great success in it. However, many have been forced to work from home during the Covid-19 pandemic due to lockdown laws implemented by many governments, and have no idea how to cope with it.
You have probably heard people tell you that being motivated at work is hard, but staying motivated can be much more difficult when you have no one to supervise you at home.
Here are a few tips on how to stay motivated and focused at home:
1. Time Management – Time management has to be one of the most important things to consider when you are working at home. Setting up a schedule for each day, sticking to it, and knowing how much time you will have to work in each day is one of the best ways to stay motivated at home.
As a tuition coordinator, I allocate 8 hours of matching between tutors and parents, 2 hours for my meals, 45 minutes for exercise and an hour for walking my dog. I do this from Monday to Saturdays, with Sundays being my off day for groceries shopping and running errands.
2. Goal Setting – Setting a goal for yourself can be one of the best ways to stay motivated at home. Having a specific time or date for something is a great way to stay focused on what you want to accomplish. Setting goals for your home business can be simple, as long as you create a list of what you want to accomplish for each day. Many times the right goals are set when we least expect them. Be sure to do your research before you begin setting your goals, and make sure you plan your life around what you want.
For example, I set a daily target of 5 successful matches within 8 hours of my working hours.
3. Accountability – Many entrepreneurs and business owners avoid accountability simply because they are afraid of what their boss’s boss might think. However, by setting realistic goals and sticking to them you will feel much more empowered, and in turn, you will be more likely to stick to your goals.
4. Taking Action – Setting yourself up for success and taking action can be one of the most important things to do when setting your own goals. Take action today, even if you only have an hour to spare.
It is important not to procrastinate and keep thinking you have another day to do it. Achieving your targets can mean simply refer to things like “I must finish cold calling 50 potential customers” or “I have to respond to 10 emails” by TODAY! Not tomorrow or any other days.
5. Following Through – The ability to follow through with your goals is equally important time management, goal setting, and goal setting. You want to create goals and a daily schedule, and then you want to keep to it. If you can stick to your goal, then it will become easier for you to set goals for the future.
6. Learning New Skills – If you want to be successful in your home business, then you need to learn new skills, get training, and continue learning. This is one of the most important things to consider when creating goals for your home business.
I am always watching Youtube videos and reading blogs to keep updated on the latest tuition trends, SEO practices or industry news.
You should always set your goals first and then plan your time management, goal setting, and goal setting. You want to work towards achieving your goals, and always remember that your ultimate goal is to have success.
7. Managing Your Time – Setting your goals and keeping to them is key to staying motivated at home. Managing your time so that you can accomplish your goals is just as important as goal setting.
It is important to be able to manage your time well to achieve your goals. If you set a certain amount of time each day for certain tasks, but when you have finished them you have nothing to show for it except empty hours, it will be hard to stay motivated and succeed at your goals. When setting goals for your home business, make sure that you also set a limit on the time that you spend doing each task.
8. Take regular breaks – When you are working from home, you should always have the opportunity to read a book or get on the Internet, especially when you feel stressed out. The main idea is to relieve yourself from all the tensions that can be caused by those situations.
Some may prefer to listen to music to relieve the mind. It is a great way to relax and to stay focused on your goals. I subscribe to Apple iTunes and regularly download soft classical music to help relax my mind after a long day’s work.
9. Exercise – Getting the right amount of exercise can allow you to enjoy the same feeling of stress relief while keeping fit and healthy at the same time. I allocate 45 minutes everyday in the afternoon to do a series of short workouts eg. Situps, crunches, starjumps, in order to keep the metabolism and heart rate up.
In conclusion, your choices will depend on how you want to maximize your time and the benefits of your activities while working from home.
The author, Wee Ben Sen, has more than 10 years of experience in writing articles for students and tutors to gain massive insights into the field of private education. Our articles focus on balancing informative and relevant content, never at the expense of providing an enriching read.
We want students to expand their horizons by learning more and find meaning to what they learn. Ben Sen is the resident writer at Tutor City Tuition Agency, a popular online tuition agency in Singapore. Check out remote worker monitoring software.